November 26, 2008

Food for Thought

It's the day before Thanksgiving and, if I'm not mistaken, it's the #1 travel day in the U.S. So, first off, I'm thankful I don't have to travel today. Dealing with the frantic crowds just isn't my cup of tea. I'm going to my parents' house tomorrow, where I'll immediately throw on an apron and join my mom in the kitchen. So much for taking the day off and being a couch potato! I'm also amazingly thankful for the opportunity to work with dear friends to try to build our two businesses: The NY International Latino Film Festival & Cinedulce. Calixto, Lyndon and I just got out of a 'working' holiday lunch that lasted for literally 3+ hours. We have so much going on - I can't spill the beans, but, in a nutshell, we're crazy busy. Success is a hard nut to crack, so you never want to put all of your eggs in one basket. Despite the challenges, uncertainties, financial pressures and general stresses associated with entrepreneurialism, I wouldn't trade my career choice for anything. Some people may think I'm nutty as a fruitcake, but the experience has provided me a great feeling of empowerment, pride and satisfaction. I mean, we're taking our careers in our own hands, using our noodles and trying to make something unique and exciting happen because no one is going to hand us success on a silver platter. Obviously, it's no piece of cake; you can only try your hardest and hope, at some point, you find your gravy train. As the saying goes, you never regret what you do, only what you don't. I'm thankful for what I am doing; hopefully, I won't have to eat my words.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loved ones and, remember, you can have your cake and eat it too!
~ Liz
(P.L.H.H.)