December 16, 2008

SNAA: Social Networking Addicts Anonymous

Recognizing you have a problem is the first step, right? Well, I think I may have a problem... I have a potential addiction to social networking. Here's the thing: I'm a huge believer in grassroots online marketing and, these days, that must include social networking. We have company profiles for the NY Int'l Latino Film Festival and/or Cinedulce on Facebook, MySpace, MiGente, YouTube and BlackPlanet (new/under construction). Additionally, I have my personal profiles on Facebook and LinkedIn. Recently, I discovered the 'groups' option on LinkedIn. Let me just say, that was quite a big day for me. I joined all sorts of entertainment, media, film festival and sponsorship groups and have already posted an item about the NY Int'l Latino Film Festival seeking sponsors for the 10th anniversary. The true test, of course, will be to see what, if any, kind of response I receive. In the meantime, it just feels entirely, wholly, downright efficient. Anyone who knows me, knows I love efficiency. So, basically, this gives me a nice, warm feeling in my belly. One little post and - bam! - mass exposure. I start pondering: who else can I find? How else can I promote my businesses? What other links can I make? Stop the insanity! Once I started poking around my groups, I saw a ton of people I know, including festival staff members. I also have folks now coming out of the woodwork to reintroduce themselves from what seems like lifetimes ago. Surreal. It's like experiencing "This is Your (Professional) Life" on a regular basis. This just makes me reiterate, yet again, that hard-and-fast biz rule: avoid burning bridges because you JUST NEVER KNOW when someone will reemerge. This leads me to the flip side of social networking: the virtual loss of anonymity and privacy. Those who want to find you, can. That sounds a bit more ominous than intended. My point is you may not want everyone from your past entering your present and sharing in your future. Sometimes, the past should stay in the past...

Hi. My name is Liz and I am a social networking addict.


~ Liz
(P.L.H.H.)
www.cinedulce.com

No comments: