December 31, 2008

Feliz Año Nuevo!

Holy cow, how'd it get to be 12/31/08?? Resolution time! I know, I know - you don't like to make resolutions b/c you either forget them 2 minutes after you make them (thank you, Dom Perignon) or you don't want the guilt of not fulfilling them. I don't really get that. I mean, I appreciate it - to each his/her own. Rock on. I just think that's kind of a cop out and, more importantly, a missed opportunity for reflection and goal-setting. Because time seems to compress as we get older (trust me) and the years literally whizz-bang by, I think it's easy to grow complacent and just go with the flow. Year in, year out - same, tired routine. But, we are all constantly evolving creatures. If you take the time to think about your life -- your career, relationships, habits, desires, dreams -- you'll discover realistic, obtainable baby steps that, ultimately, add up to major personal and/or professional achievements and growth. Shake it up! Take a chance! As Obama says, "Yes you can!". :)

For Cinedulce and the NY Int'l Latino Film Festival in 2009, Calixto and I have both concrete and general goals. I'm going to keep those private - no need for bad luck! But, what I will say is, on a personal level, I'm working on work/life balance (aren't we all??) and focusing on today; learn from the past, plan for the future, but stay focused on the present. Find joy in each day and count my blessings. Be kind and forgiving to myself (and, for that matter, to all in my life) because no one can be everything to everyone all of the time. We can only aspire to be our best selves. I want to try not to sweat the small stuff and pick my battles.
Give back to the community because the reward is far richer than the effort. And, of course, dream big - I still believe I can have it all if I work hard, stay patient, be flexible and make smart decisions. Most importantly, I want to continue to enjoy the ride 'cause, otherwise, what's the point?

Best wishes for a happy, healthy, fulfilling New Year and I'll catchya in '09!

~ Liz
(P.L.H.H.)
www.Cinedulce.com

No comments: