March 8, 2010

Oscars Recap

First off, Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin were surprisingly kooky and funny - much edgier than I expected. Thank God, they didn't bust out the "Dirty Dancing", Catskills, schmaltz-a-thon. Ben Stiller? Hilarious! And, I don't care what anyone says - I love Neil Patrick Harris and thought his opening number was adorable. That bizarro dance medley, however, was another story. What the hell?!

Okay, onto the awards. There were few surprises, but it's still fun to watch. Mo'Nique, Sandra Bullock, Jeff Bridges and Christoph Waltz were, in my opinion, all shoe-ins. They've consistently been winning award after award and had a huge amount of momentum going into the night. The story of the night, of course, was Kathryn Bigelow winning the Best Director award. I wasn't surprised by the win, but to have a woman finally break through the old DGA boys' club and capture the coveted top creative award is astounding and a major ceiling-busting moment. You go, girl!

And, for all you ladies out there, I thought Sandra Bullock was the best dressed. She looked stunning! This was her moment and she worked it. I also thought Anna Kendrick, Rachel McAdams, Nicole Ritchie, Elizabeth Banks, Queen Latifah, Kristen Stewart (seriously!) and Demi Moore looked beautiful - really lovely dresses. And, J-Lo, as always, looked gorgeous!

The funniest Oscars feedback I've heard thus far: Joan Rivers on James Cameron, "He looks like a lesbian." Ha! Now, THAT'S funny stuff.

For the record, I won my Oscars pool (woo-hoo!), which worked out well because I spent a pretty penny on my micro-viewing party. The pot didn't fully reimburse me, but it did mitigate the pain! ;)

Liz.
2hpl
Cinedulce.com
NYLatinoFilm.com

No comments: