February 8, 2010

My Feel Good Weekend

Holy smokes, what a weekend! I needed the work week to begin to catch my breath from the non-stop action!

A highlight was Saturday afternoon and eve, when I volunteered at the annual gala for the Human Rights Campaign at the Waldorf Astoria. My dear friend, Bryan, was the event co-chair. Plus, I 100% believe in the cause and, quite frankly, am shocked gay rights continues to be a discussion in this country. I guess I'm just a "Free To Be You and Me" kind of gal. That aside, I was so proud of Bryan for an incredibly well organized, successful event, including 700+ guests and a special appearance by the lovely Sarah Jessica Parker and the very groovy Tim Gunn.

But, it was also an interesting experience for me because I reverted back to a worker (vs. queen) bee position. It was like the new CBS show, "Undercover Boss", except I didn't work my own event, but someone else's. Still, it was a good reminder what it's like to be a volunteer.

My job was registration. I sat at a computer and checked in what seemed like hundreds of people (including two executive friends from Time Warner!). Once my shift was over, I ate with all of the other volunteers in a curtained side room with a select (but tasty) buffet of salad and pasta, and, also like the other volunteers, was not permitted to participate in the main event; we had a bird's eye view of the festivities, watching from the grand ballroom's balcony.

And, you know what? I had a fantastic time! I met all sorts of folks, ran into other friends of Bryan that I have adopted as my own, and, generally, felt a great sense of pride and satisfaction for supporting a cause that I hold dear to my heart.

Ironically, I'm in the process of interviewing for a few key intern positions with the NYILFF. (Side Note: If you're interested, leave a comment here with your contact info.)

The moral of the story is twofold: 1. get out there and volunteer - it may help you even more than the cause you are supporting; and, 2. always remember that volunteers, assistants, interns, coordinators and staff are as valuable as gems and deserve your utmost respect.

Without a dedicated support system, you have nothing.

Liz.
2hpl
Cinedulce.com
NYLatinoFilm.com

No comments: