February 23, 2009

Post-Show Wrap-Up

So, I will start off by saying I correctly predicted 17 awards, NOT including Sean Penn. Go me. I actually haven't yet seen "Milk" (I know, I know - it's the very tip-top of my list), but I've heard he's incredible. The only reason I chose Mickey Rourke is because the comeback story is compelling and because Sean Penn has won an Oscar and Mickey hasn't. Frequently, the Academy likes to give the new guy a shot. That aside, I thought 17 was decent, though there weren't that many surprises. Random thoughts on the show:
  • Who knew Anne Hathaway could sing? And, what a champ for participating in the opening number! That's pretty stressful for anyone, much less a first-time nominee, but she totally nailed it.
  • Hugh - great host.
  • Tina Fey & Steve Martin - absolutely hilarious.
  • Beyonce - big fan of hers, but wasn't really feeling last night's outfit or performance.
  • And, last but most definitely not least, HUGE PROPS to Penelope Cruz! Yes!
My primary feedback, however, is the incredible joy I feel from the massive success of independent and multicultural films this past year, most notably, of course, Slumdog Millionaire. Vicky Christina Barcelona, Milk, The Wrestler, Rachel Getting Married, The Visitor, Frozen River, The Reader... it's truly unbelievable. And, for a film about Mumbai to virtually sweep the most prestigious movie awards is incredible. Honestly, it's inspiring. The trend has been slowly, but steadily growing; I can only hope the mainstream support for this kind of diverse storytelling continues for many years to come.

TODAY'S TREAT

The Music Within
In honor of aspiring filmmakers who hope one day to win an Academy Award, I selected a youth filmmaker for Today's Treat selection. It's a totally charming short that should make you smile. Film School San Antonio presents a funnny take on Latinos possessing a music within that is not created by machines, MP3 players, radios,etc. It is a music that cannot be stopped! Directed by Jefferey Martinez.

Liz.
P.L.H.H.
www.Cinedulce.com


No comments: