October 29, 2008

Catch a Rising Star...

When I was at the Latin Convergence Conference two weeks ago, I was approached by this recent college graduate, Maria. I swear to you, it was one of those "aha!" moments when I knew I was meeting a future rock star in the PR/marketing business. Do you realize how much confidence and presence it takes for a 21 year-old (much less anyone) to bust into a business conference and introduce herself to random executives? Think about it...take another minute, it's cool...yeah, exactly: not so easy. AND, she met a TON of people, including her potential future employers, who asked her to interview the following week. Anyhoodles, I agreed to have coffee with her this week to jabber about what I do, how I got here (wherever 'here' is), provide some advice and insights, etc. I literally jumped at the chance. It might sound odd since this was clearly for her benefit, but, for some reason, I feel compelled to mentor Maria - or, at least, support her in any way I can (e.g., putting in a good word where she's interviewing). It's just so inspiring to meet a young woman who's so together, bright, self-assured and hardworking. Plus, she's a peach so, net-net, she's going to be a dream come true for any employer. All of that aside, she seemed genuinely impressed by my professional tale, which was borderline shocking to me considering how non-traditional and circuitous it's been. I guess it's about perspective, right? Maybe she sees in me what I see in her - a positive, persevering woman who's following her heart. All I know is Maria is fabulous and I wish her great success. And, her employers better hold on tight b/c when I have the money, I'm coming to poach her. As the old saying goes, you have to catch a star on the rise or on the decline, but never on top...too expensive. ;)
~ Liz
(P.L.H.H.)

No comments: